Visit a Maine Site
- Village site, Dresden Future excavations at this Kennebec shore village site are sure to reveal new insights on native lifestyle during the Archaic period.
- Isles of Shoals Located six miles offshore from Maine’s southern border, the Isles of Shoals site has yielded tools and faunal remains from Native American occupation.
- Haskell Island, Harpswell This seasonal Native American encampment was the scene of a 2010 exploratory dig.
Colonial & Early American Archaeological Sites:
- Bean Site This website has detailed probate inventories, field sketches, artifact inventories, and more of a colonial York homestead.
- Chadbourne Homestead An enterprising and prominent colonial family established and maintained a home in Berwick until the settlement became a causality of a 1690 French and Indian raid.
- Clarke and Lake This early settlement and trading center on Arrowsic was destroyed during King Philip’s War.
- Devereaux Cove Project The failed 1779 Penobscot Expedition turned out to be one of the darkest defeats in U.S. Naval history. A recovery of the remains of one of the ships is provides insight into 18th century ship construction.
- Fort St. George (Popham) The 1607 settlement at Popham was one of America’s earliest English attempts to establish a colony. Recent excavations have shed new light on the life and struggles of the first pioneers.
- Hitchcock Site A 17th century ‘earthfast’ homesite on the coast at Biddeford Pool fell victim to a raid during King William’s War.
- Pemaquid The 2010 story of excavations at this key 17th Century trading site is told.
- Phips Homestead The fieldwork at the boyhood home of Sir William Phips reveals the story of a large family living on the Maine frontier.
- Shephard Site This Kittery location was home to several generations of the Shephard family. The website illastrates the vital link between archival research and field recovery.
19th & 20th Century Sites
- Fort Edgecomb Built to protect the Port of Wiscasset, archaeological excavations have provided additional insight on this historic site.
- Malaga Island Located off shore from Phippsburg, this community was a focal point of controversy.
Return to Educator Resource Page