The Maine Archaeological Society (TMAS), a 501(c)3 non-profit organization, was founded in 1956 and currently consist of professional and avocational archaeologists, as well as individuals of the general public who are interested in furthering the objectives of the society.
The objectives of the TMAS are as follows:
- Stimulate the study of archaeology throughout the State of Maine and elsewhere;
- Promote and encourage scientific research in the field;
- Conserve archaeological sites, data, and artifacts;
- Assist in the dissemination of archaeological information;
- Seek through education to substitute intelligent work for uninformed and/or misdirected archaeological activity;
- Seek to prevent the collection of archaeological specimens for commercial purposes;
- Serve as a bond among all students of archaeology;
- And foster a more rational public understanding of the aims and limits of archaeological research to the benefit of the people and the State of Maine as a whole.